Greenhouse Management and Operating Procedures
Workplace Safety and Required Training
- All new users of the Plant Growth Facilities (PGF) must undergo workplace safety training prior to using the facilities.
- Workplace safety training is conducted by the PGF manager(s), all employees must contact the greenhouse manger for safety training prior to working in the facility.
Space Assignment Procedures
- The procedure for requesting space begins with filling out a space request form. A Greenhouse Space Request Form needs to be filled out in the spring even if space is not needed until later during the fiscal year to assure access to greenhouse space.
- There will be no permenant assignment of space; however, space once allotted can be renewed.
- The location for research on pathogens and insects that can create compatability issues must be agreed upon by managers and researchers before space is assigned.
- Unused or unneeded space reverts back to the PGF for reassignment.
- Project leaders are responsible for seeing that their workers clean all areas in which they work including the headhouse area and greenhouses. Cleaning supplies and equipment will be provided.
- Plant debris and soil should be kept off the floors of the PGF by the user. The greenhouse staff is not responsible for cleaning space.
- At the end of the experimentation, all plant material, soil and containers should be removed from the greenhouse section, and benches and floor swept as soon as possible after completion of the research.
- A cleaning fee will be assessed if the PGF staff has to clean up the space before reassignment can take place.
Operating Rules/Environmental Controls
- Controls will be set by the managers or greenhouse staff and can be modified or changed by the researcher by emailing the greenhouse manager(s).
- Control precedent will be granted to the research project occupying the space first. When one or more projects are in one greenhouse, controls will be determined by mutual agreement. Managers will take this into consideration when assigning space.
- Environmental data from specific PGF can be requested by Principal Investigator(s) if the PGF manager(s) are notified in a timely manner.
Services and Supplies
PGF managers will provide:
- general potting mixes
- selection of pots and trays
- labels and stakes
- fertilizers and pesticides
- hoses, water breakers, etc.
- wheel barrels and carts for soil and plant disposal
- scouting and pest control management
- cleaning supplies and equipment
- For pest disease control, see manager before bringing in plant materials from other areas.
- Any modification of the PGF will not be allowed without permission from the managers.
- Equipment provided for general use shall be returned clean and in good repair.
- Only plant material should be in the growing areas.
- No personal plants are allowed in teh PGF greenhouses.
After Hours Problems or Emergencies
- If issues or problems arise and the Greenhouse manager(s) are not available, please call Facilities Management at 612-624-2900. This number provides 24/7 call center support, technical services and after hours customer support to ensure facilities issues can be responded to promptly.
- For after hours problems, please call 612-624-2900. If an emergency occurs, please dial 911.