MAES Staff and Leadership
MAES provides resources for researchers and faculty. Functional areas include research facilities, administration, accounting, and communications.
BRIAN BUHR Director - email@example.com - 612-624-1234
As the Director of MAES, Brian Buhr is responsible for representing MAES at the state, regional, and national level. He oversees strategic planning for the unit and helps coordinate MAES initiatives with those of CFANS.
GREG CUOMO Deputy Director - firstname.lastname@example.org - 612-625-1158
As the Deputy Director of MAES, Greg Cuomo oversees the daily management of the MAES administrative office and helps to coordinate with department heads across the colleges on MAES funded projects.
TAMMY BERGAN Finance Professional 2 - email@example.com - 612-625-9716
Tammy Bergan is a finance professional for MAES. She is responsible for providing financial support to MAES in all areas.
Contact Tammy in regard to:
- RARF/SGI/Varietal Development allocations
- Federal funds
- Loan pool
- Regional travel approval
- Regional fringe adjustments
DOUG BRINKMAN Research Professional 3 - firstname.lastname@example.org - 612-384-2478 (c)
Doug Brinkman manages and oversees the Growth Chambers located on the St. Paul Campus. He is employed by the MAES, but works for university personnel who are using growth chambers for research, plant propagation or seed production. He manages and maintains growth chambers for users but also hopes to be a resource for users who would like to discuss controlled environments and artificial light sources as they relate to plant growth and development. There is much to learn so Doug also hopes to have meaningful conversations with users that will improve my understanding of their needs in order to find positive methods to meet those needs.
Contact Doug in regard to:
- Using growth chambers for controlled environment research
- Discussing the capabilities of the chambers and what chambers would be best suited for the type of plant research they intend to pursue
- Concerns regarding light quality and quantity, including UV or the Shade Avoidance Response (SAR, SAS), as well as how to measure photo-synthetically active radiation (PAR) and take spectra of their lamps for publishing purposes
- Using the model plant arabidopsis thaliana for research
- Discussions regarding new lighting and chamber technology
ABIGAIL CARDENUTO Principal Accounts Specialist - email@example.com - 612-624-1268
Abigail Cardenuto is the principal accounts specialist for MAES. She is responsible for processing plot fees for ROCs, PCard processing for ISOs, ISO Billings and accounts payable vouchers for ISOs and MAES.
Contact Abigail in regard to:
- Plot Fees for ROCs
- PCard processing for ISOs
- ISO Billings
- Accounts Payable Vouchers for ISOs and MAES
THA CHA Assistant Greenhouse Manager - firstname.lastname@example.org - 612-624-3631
Tha Cha is the assistant greenhouse manager for the MAES Plant Growth Facilities. He is responsible for providing greenhouse support.
Contact Tha in regard to:
- Greenhouse environment
- Pest management
LISA CHAMBERLAIN Executive Accounts Specialist - email@example.com - 612-624-7779
Lisa Chamberlain is the executive accounts specialist for MAES. She is responsible for processing payments to vendors, travel and employee reimbursements, PCard reconciliation, journal corrections, new chartfield setups, and deposits.
Contact Lisa in regard to:
- External Billing
- Ag Services and Utility Charges
- New Supplier setup
SHELLY GUSTAFSON Communications Specialist - firstname.lastname@example.org - 612-625-2741
Shelly Gustafson is the communications specialist for MAES. She is responsible for setting up and maintaining the MAES websites, responding to media requests, and communicating MAES researcher's accomplishments to a wider audience.
Contact Shelly in regard to:
- Website content
- Media requests
- MAES feature and research impact story ideas
- USDA-NIFA Federal Reporting and Plan of Work
VALERIE LINHOFF Finance Manager - email@example.com - 763-607-3592
Valerie Linhoff is the MAES and ROCs finance manager. She is responsible for monitoring AES and ROC: financial budgeting and reporting, oversight of Federal capacity funds and state research projects, supervision of MAES and ROC accounting staff, reporting website access, and an information source regarding AES and ROC financial data including RECAP, CRIS, ISO billing, and AES financial database.
Contact Valerie in regard to:
- Financial budgeting and reporting
- Federal capacity funds and state research projects
- Financial reporting website data questions and/or access issues
- AES and Federal year end closing
- MAES reporting site assistance
RUTH SANBORN Administrative Associate 2 - firstname.lastname@example.org - 612-625-5795
Ruth Sanborn works with a variety of matters related to MAES research projects, assisting researchers and staff with technical, process, and policy-related questions regarding new project proposals and progress and final reports. This involves the use of REEport, USDA/NIFA's online system for submitting project initiation forms and reports for formula projects and NIFA grants. Other issues Ruth works with include Minnesota's participation in multistate committees and projects and some internal MAES RFP processes.
Contact Ruth in regard to:
- MAES projects
- Multistate committees and projects
ANDREW SCOBBIE Manager - email@example.com - 612-625-1228 - 612-803-8007 (c)
Andrew Scobbie works for the MAES Ag. Services Department as campus operations manager in St. Paul. Andy is responsible for the research plot land and related facilities on the St. Paul campus.
Contact Andrew in regard to:
- Requesting research plot space
- Plot history
- Plot tillage and preparation
- Herbicide and fertilizer application
- Animal waste management
- Vehicle and equipment maintenance
DYLAN VANBOXTEL Digital Content Lead - firstname.lastname@example.org - 612-626-4925
Dylan VanBoxtel is the Digital Content Lead for MAES and CFANS. He will focus on strategy, consultation, design, execution, and approach for visual content creation for MAES. His primary responsibilities include video storytelling and photography for MAES.
Contact Dylan in regard to:
- Video and photo consultations and requests
- MAES video and photo permissions and third-party usage
PAM WARNKE Manager - email@example.com - 612-625-3153
Pam Warnke is the manager for the MAES Plant Growth Facilities. She is in charge of the daily operations and management of the Plant Growth Facilities on the St. Paul campus.
Contact Pam in regard to:
- Greenhouse space and billing
- Pest management
- Fertilization and watering