Training and Orientation
We offer combined Worker Protection Standard (WPS) training and PGF orientation near the beginning of new semesters and at any time there is a request for training. All people with paid positions who spend time working in the greenhouses must receive training; this includes civil service staff, administrative/professional, graduate student, and faculty employees of the U of M. The combined WPS training and orientation session usually lasts less than one hour.
For more information contact Roger Meissner.
Worker Protection Standard Training
The purpose of WPS training is to minimize the risk of pesticide-related illness or injury. Topics include:
- General safety
- Rights of employees to information about safety
- Responsibilities of management to protect the safety of those who work in the greenhouse
- First aid
Training is valid for one year.
Plant Growth Facility Orientation
The Plant Growth Facilities orientation is design to acquaint users with our system. Topics include:
- An introduction to the PGF staff
- Information on materials such as pots, media, and other supplies provided to users
- Procedures for disposing of used potting media
- The importance of sanitation
- Our notification and posting procedures for pesticide applications
- Locations of safety information and equipment such as material safety data sheets, eyewashes, fire extinguishers, first aid kits, and telephones
Discussion and questions are encouraged.